Monday, September 7, 2009

"Truth packaged for application"

Years ago I was listening to Elder Scott (on my mission) and he asked us all what a principle is. After many answers (that I thought sounded great) he said this. " A Principle is truth packaged for application." I love that definition! So on my journey through the Book of Mormon this year I want to pull out principles and apply them to my life.

1 Nephi chapter 1 is a great way to start off the Book of Mormon.

Principle 1: "Goodly Parents"
If I listen to the wisdom of my parents I will be blessed

I have been greatly blessed in my life with "goodly parents" who have taught and raised me on righteous principles. Although it wasn't always a spiritual experience we help family scripture study, family home evening, and family prayer at home. I can remember many times when my parents would counsel me to do something or not do something I I knew if I listened to them things would turn out okay. There isn't enough gratitude or enough love to really show or tell my parents how much I love and appreciate them. I am the person I am today greatly due to their example, patience, guidance and love!

Principle 2: "All his heart"
When I give the Lord all my heart He is bound to listen and answer my prayers.

Throughout the Book of Mormon there is a heart theme that I have come to love. So many great passages about how you feel in your heart will ultimately guide what you do and say. I love that Nephi starts out the Book of Mormon by telling us, "...My father, Lehi, as he went forth prayed unto the Lord, yea, even with all his heart, in behalf of his people"(1 Nephi 1:5). This starts the beginning of the heart struggle we encounter for the rest of the Book of Mormon. Who is holding your heart?

Principle 3: "Tender mercies"
Because of my faith the Lord will show me His tender mercies.

In 2006 Elder Bednar gave an amazing talk about tender mercies and he said, "Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits 'his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men' (D&C 46:15)." I know that the Lord has given me many tender mercies in my life. He has placed amazing people along my path to help me reach my potential and I never doubt that His hand is involved in the timing of these people!

No comments:

Post a Comment